Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Laundry Room Makeover

The start of a new year made me want to clean out and redo some of the rooms in our house that have been untouched. My friend Sarah made me realize I had a great laundry room with potential so I decided to DIY the crap out of it.
Before when I would go down there I would feel super uneasy, the energy in this room was just terrible. My husband has had roommates that actually slept in our semi finished basement a few years ago. Yuck! I didn't like those people and I don't like the stuff and energy they left down there. So I began by throwing out bags full of random items every where, scrubbed down the walls and floors, and a fresh coat of paint on everything.
Before picture - As you can see the themed color they chose back in the 50's was a lovely shade of army green. And it was on EVERYTHING at one time. I found lots of layers of ugly green under this off-white. And to my surprise those stained looking windows are plastic!! I had always thought they were glass. But I actually don't mind them after I cleaned them up.
Before Picture - I removed all the knobs and figured they were perfectly fine, so I spray painted them matte black.

Before picture - I couldn't do much about the ceiling. Couldn't cover it because the ceilings are already so low. But I took a staple gun and cleaned up the wires hanging.

One of the first things I did was rip up the green linoleum counter top. Sanded and stained the wood that was hiding underneath. I think it was a good choice to leave the fake stain glass.


I added a giant basket we have had for years to this big empty corner. And a meat grinder which was my husbands grandmothers once. I also framed some pictures of women doing laundry.


I found this antique wash board at a local antique store (Lost In Time)
And this iron on the same day! I really wanted a giant wash bucket, but they were really expensive.

This antique light belonged to my husbands grandmother as well.




And to add double the light I mirrored the window with this antique mirror.



To cover this doorway into an unsightly section of the basement, I got some rope, two hooks, and two shower curtains. Easy fix!



I made those two cheesie paintings. One on a leftover cabinet door I found it says "Laundry room, sorting life out one load at a time" yeah it's stupid but whatever. I can change it whenever I feel like it.
Other than that, I may hang a couple more pictures, and maybe a shelf somewhere.
Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!